Friday, December 26, 2008

ETERNITY. . . THINK ABOUT IT





I think about eternity a lot. Eternity is a long time. I don't believe very many people give eternity a second thought. When you understand that eternity is forever, then you understand that this life is for all practical purposes immeasurably short. But it is immeasurably important in the one regard that it will determine where we spend eternity. We only have this temporal life to determine our eternal destiny. God has given us life in order that we might choose life eternal. Sadly, many have chosen to reject God and His offer of eternal life. How people can live their lives totally in disregard as to where they will spend eternity is a mystery to me.

I don't remember dreaming about my Dad until after he died. Lately, I've been dreaming about my Dad. I have these repetitive dreams, where I go to different places and people will tell me that they knew my Dad. In the dreams, I've been in Chicago and small towns, in hotels and restaurants, and people will come to me and tell me what a nice guy my Dad was. I hope to see my Dad in Heaven. He was not a believer in as far as I know, but he spent his last two days in a hospital bed, knowing that he was dying. I can only hope he made his peace with God. My Dad was a nice guy, and people have always told me that. Many people knew him, because he never left the town he grew up in. I know my Dad is not really dead. He is living eternally in a place of his choosing. Which choice he made is solely his responsibility. I hope he chose well during those last remaining days upon this earth.

I don't know how people come to the belief that we are no different than a dog. Do people really believe that we die and turn to dust and are no more? If we are no different than a dog, then we are no different than a roach, or a flea, or a piece of dust. If there is no Creator, then creation is a fantasy, because everything our senses tell us about the universe is a lie. Our senses tell us that matter cannot appear out of nothingness. Only a Power greater than the universe could have created and sustained this living universe. Life is more of a mystery and more of a miracle than the human mind can comprehend. Yet people live their lives blindly headed for eternity with no thought of their destination. Hell will be full of regret. People who end up in hell will forever regret their decision to live without the Creator. I suppose they will curse God throughout eternity, blaming Him for their torment. I'm glad I will not be there to hear their screams.

If Jesus had not come and died for our sins, we would still be living under the law. We would still be living under the legalism of the law and the animal sacrifice of the temple. This type of salvation was sufficient for the beginning of God's work among men. But He promised a Redeemer and at the right time Jesus appeared, fulfilling all the law and the prophets. Now the time of the end has come, exactly as Jesus and the Apostles prophesied it would come. They rejected Jesus then, and they have rejected Him now. They have rejected His word. When the Lord comes in the clouds, they will still reject Him. The Bible says they will hide from the face of the Lamb and go into the dens and caves of the earth. Mankind is rebellious and has rejected the Maker. I no longer have a care for anything that happens on this earth. My reservation is made in Heaven. A thousand years from now I will be with the Lord Jesus. That's all that matters. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment